The truth is that human imagination beats any cognitive process that we are aware of today, especially when we have to shape reality according to it. Science has reached such great heights that if humans can imagine something, that something is possible. So it happens that a team of scientists made a human brain and managed to keep it alive in a laboratory.
Yes, this sounds like a Frankenstein movie already, but scientists did manage to play god and brought a human brain into being. Never mind the ethical or moral values that we strive to uphold every day and our sheer willingness to worship mother nature. We did it, we noticed yet another boundary and we broke it, proving that human kind is, once again, the ultimate species.
The human brain, as scientists have admitted, has been grown and kept alive in a laboratory, providing evidence that the human reproduction mechanism has rather fallen behind in terms of evolution, giving way to a more “synthetic” style to evolve and conquer the world. While this “evolution” might prove beneficial to us, only time can tell if it will be of any actual use.
Do you remember those old movies or animations with a brain in a jar, having two creepy eyes and a spinal cord? Yes, that is pretty much how it looks like, almost. It only has the beginning of what looks like an eye, its own spinal cord and it is said to contain 99% of the cells that make up the brain of a human baby. We are not yet sure what that remaining 1% is, however.
Scientists pride themselves with this discovery because, as they say, it will enable medicine to gaze further into the heart of neurological diseases, such as Alzheimer’s disease or dementia. While it does not provide the exact same conditions as an “embodied” human brain, it does show promise especially because of the “ease of access”.
As mentioned before, we are still far away from actually witnessing how this disembodied brain, or relatives of its kind could even help medicine properly. It is quite probable that some brain diseases are not only caused within the brain, but in strict correlation with other body functions, thus a disembodied version could not provide insight since it does not have these functions.
But we have nothing to do than look forward. Surely if we discovered how to replicate a human brain, we will discover how to better use it or what extra features it could develop simply because it is not within a body.
Photo Credits ibtimes.co.uk