A recent study shows that about 88 percent of cases of poisoning with veterinary medicine occur among children aged five or younger. Almost all the cases report children who consumed drugs which were intended for the family pet. Parents, this issues a warning to be careful where you store or how you administer medicine to your pets.
Also, statistics show that one in four of the poisonings occur when people are trying to give medicine to pets. For example, you may think the only way to convince your pet to take medicine is to hide it in food. If this food is too appealing, your child may eat it before you get the chance to give it to your pet. Also, toddlers can eat the medicine if it is dropped on the floor.
This caused health officials all around the United States to warn again all pet owners to keep medicine out of reach and give it to their pets when their children are not around.
Kristin Roberts is the co-author of the study and a member of the Center for Injury Research and Policy. She and her team of researchers analyzed data from a regional poison control center in Ohio on 1,431 poisoning cases that occurred between 1999 and 2013. They performed the analysis to see how dangerous are veterinary drugs if ingested by children.
The majority of cases involved medicines for dogs which were eaten or drunk by children. Some other cases reported skin exposure to the drugs or children getting them in their eyes. However, the majority of cases did not require medical assistance and those who did were treated and released rather promptly.
The results were not that worrying. Most children had no bothersome symptoms and did not require further care, since the drugs were either non-toxic or not that harmful. Still, the study is somehow limited since it collected data from a single poison center and the medicines involved were not so varied.
This should not mean that you don’t have to supervise your children anymore. Naturally, they are curios and are seeking to explore everything. Therefore, keep pet medicine out of their sight and constantly watch them to see if they swallow some foreign objects.
Also, veterinary medicine usually doesn’t have a protective packaging, so make sure your children don’t get hold of it, since some drugs may actually prove harmful.
Image Source: Pixabay