New Year’s hangover isn’t a must if you’re planning to paint the town red tonight. More often than not, New Year’s parties are infused with that hint of magic that will sweep all your inhibitions and troubling thoughts under the carpet in an instant.
It’s the night of the passing into the new and the better and the night of resolutions and happiness. While alcohol consumption is recommended in moderate amounts, we might just slip down the lane leading to a horrific hangover the morning after.
We did some research and found a couple of tips and tricks which might just help you through the day. If you also agree that New Year’s hangover isn’t a must, check out this list.
- For starters, alcohol intake above recommended levels will drain nutrients from your body. Most importantly, it will drain water and salt. So here is the oldest trick in the book. If you can remember, have loads of water before falling asleep once the celebratory lights are out. Upon waking up the morning after the New Year’s party, have some more and let the life-sustaining liquid work its magic.
- While we’re at it, a painkiller of your choosing (whatever you know works best with headaches on a normal day basis) should accompany that first glass of water. Do not exceed the dose recommendation on the package.
- Continue your morning after ritual with some healthy drinks. Freshly squeezed orange juice always works. Sweeten it with some honey or add a banana in the blender for a perfect combination of nutrients, minerals and vitamins. It’s guaranteed to lessen the hinges of that horrific hangover. Bananas will restore Vitamin B levels and potassium.
- Are you a caffeine fan? A cup of coffee will not only help with the headache associated with that horrific hangover, but it will also boost your energy levels. A large number of the drugs prescribed for headaches actually contain caffeine. Thus, a cup of coffee or two are bound to make you feel better. Take it black though. Sugar only makes things worse when it comes to New Year’s hangover or any hangover for that matter.
- Mix yogurt with a bit of salt. Alternatively find a local store that sells Ayran. Specific to Arab countries, Turkey, Azerbaijan, Iran and even some Balkan countries, this miracle drink packs everything you need to feel refreshed soon. It’s best served cold. That horrific hangover will loosen its tight grip almost immediately.
- Now, if you’re looking for comfort foods, you can choose between raw or cooked. The most simple way to put your body back in function (and your brain) is to consume raw vegetables and fruits. Make a Greek salad with some lemon dressing and you’re good to go. Another fantastic food item to relieve hangover symptoms are eggs.
- Boiled, served with salt or in a delicious omelette that could pack other ingredients as well (spinach, cheese, etc), they are the widely spread hangover cure. Your liver is already under a lot of stress from processing the excessive amounts of alcohol ingested during that New Year’s Party. Thus, choosing greasy foods or fried anything might not help you minimize your suffering.
Armed with these quick tips and tricks, remember that New Year’s hangover isn’t a must. We wish you a plentiful and successful New Year and a memorable New Year party!
Photo Credits: Pixabay