People caught in the business of the season and stressed to the bone to make perfect Christmas preparations tend to overlook their silent furry friends, which may become exposed to hazards during festivities. Fortunately, a group of experts shared with us a few thoughts on how to keep pets safe this part of the year.
Dr. Elisabeth Giedt of Oklahoma State University’s Veterinary Health Sciences, underscored that it is crucial to keep pets fit and well-fed throughout this season. It is also important to make some minor teaks to Christmas decoration to prevent accidents.
Dr. Griedt explained that even something as harmless as a Christmas tree could lead to life-threatening conditions when it comes to pets. For instance, the tree not only may fall on your beloved animal, but it can also lead to some serious health issues such as indigestion and even poisoning.
The liquid under live Christmas trees is usually laden with hazardous chemicals such as fertilizers that can make you take your pet to a veterinary’s emergency room if the furry friend has the curiosity to taste it. The same goes if the water under a live tree stays there for several days and bacteria have time to bloom. The bacteria can lead to severe diarrhea and nausea in animals, as well.
Additionally, you should watch out for hazards that can lead to electrocution. Many pets find Christmas light electrical cords especially alluring and they often get tangled or plainly electrocuted. This is why you should place the cord in locations that are not readily accessible.
Burning candles are also hazardous. Curious pets can knock them over and start a home fire in no time. This is why you should switch to other types of candles as long as you keep a pet in the house. Experts also recommend to not use scented candles especially if you own a bird, because the feathered companions are very sensitive to chemicals in those candles since they have a fine-tuned respiratory system.
There’s a risk of poisoning from Christmas plants such as poinsettias or mistletoe. While chewing on a poinsettias can cause your pet diarrhea, having a taste for mistletoe could result in more severe conditions including poisoning or a heart disease. Experts suggest it is better to go for artificial versions instead.
Vets have also some recommendations. You should prevent pets from sampling foods on your holiday menu, and make sure that spoiled food is discarded in places that are out of your pet(s)’s reach. Pets usually find discarded food very enticing. Additionally, discard alcohol in a sink or other similar places to prevent small animals from ingesting it and entering a coma.
Image Source: Flickr