You may want to think twice before buying a delicious hamburger from a fast food. Yes, fast food is bad for your health, but this is not the only reason why you should refrain from eating such products. It appears that the paper in which this food is wrapped contains many toxic chemicals.
The new research found that this paper contains perfluorinated chemicals (PFCs) or perfluoroalkyl substances (PFASs). These are toxins that may lead to the development of cancer, a weaker immune system, or other issues.
The researchers tested 400 food containers from 27 fast food chains and found important levels of fluorine in 40 percent of these containers. Fluorine is the main substance found in these toxins and is used in food packaging to avoid the formation of grease stains.
Also, the packaging used in some products had higher levels of fluorine than others. For example, 56 percent of the wrappers for dessert and bread contained fluorine, as compared to 38 percent of the sandwich and burger wrappers or 20 percent of the cardboard recipients. However, none of the paper cups contained the toxins.
The tests were not performed on the food inside the wrappers, but other studies found that these chemicals can be transmitted to the food from the external packaging. These studies also found that hotter and greasier foods are the most likely to absorb the chemicals. These are exactly the types of foods that are served in fast foods.
Researchers also drew the attention to other foods some people may not think about. They indicated that microwave popcorn may be one good example where migration of the chemicals occurs. Since the corn gets hot and pops all around the bag, it is understandable that the chemicals get transferred.
What is even more worrying is the fact that these chemicals do not only occur in fast food wrappers. They are popular in non-stick pans, carpets, clothes, or any materials that should be stain-proof. These toxins can also appear in the water we drink.
Unfortunately, since the expansion of these toxins is so broad, there is no clear way to cut your exposure completely. The researchers advise people to avoid contact with potential holders of toxin as much as possible.
Image Source: Pixabay