On Friday, a California judge ruled that the $417 million awarded to a woman by a lower court for developing ovarian cancer from Johnson talcum powder was unlawfully granted.
Los Angeles County Superior Court Judge Maren Nelson decided that Johnson & Johnson was right when it accused the jury that awarded the money of misconduct and severe errors.
The judge also decided that the woman hasn’t brought enough evidence to link her diagnosis with her decades-long use of Johnson’s talcum powder. The woman claims that she developed ovarian cancer after using the product for feminine hygiene purposes.
The woman, Eva Echeverria, has died while the trial was still pending but her attorney said her family plans to appeal the latest ruling.
We will continue to fight on behalf of all women who have been impacted by this dangerous product,
Echeverria’s attorney said.
Suit Alleges Johnson&Johnson Was Aware of the Risks
The woman sued Johnson & Johnson for failing to warn women that talcum powder can lead to cancer if used for intimate hygiene. She said she used the company’s products on a daily basis between the 1950s and 2016. In 2007, the woman was diagnosed with ovarian cancer.
According to court documents, the plaintiff claimed that the “unreasonably dangerous and defective nature” of Johnson’s Baby Powder caused her cancer. Her legal team claims that the pharmaceutical company had been aware of the risks for three decades but failed to warn consumers.
A spokesperson for Johnson said the company is content with the decision. She added that the cosmetic-grade talc powder used in the company’s products for decades cannot cause cancer, as “science is clear”. The company is currently focusing on other lawsuits concerning its talcum powder.
Hundreds of women have sued the firm nationwide and the awards have climbed to hundreds of millions of dollars.
Image Source: Flickr